9.10.2010

Typical Stick Figure Family?I Think Not!

I've been out of school all week from a leg infection.
And I've been thinking,alot, about what it means to be a family.
And I've realized that family doesn't have to be just your parents,you and your siblings.
It can be so much more then that.

(No, I didn't draw this, just in case any one was
wondering)
In Elementary I remember how we'd make stick figure family trees every year. We were always taught that our family was our parents, ourselves, siblings (if we had any) and somehow we always got to put our pets in our family trees.
Its kinda seems a little cliché how they always taught family to be "perfect" like that, because I know that I never grew up like that.

I was always a little different from everyone else's families. I didn't have the typical mom and dad, so that when it came time to make mother's day present in art class as we usually did, it was always a little awkward. The family that I grew up in never went on vacations together, because there was no money to go on vacation with.
My family consisted of 4 other "siblings" (my two half sisters, and two of my cousins), and then my aunt and uncle. We lived together in a two story, 3 bedroom house. All seven of us.

Literal picture from this weekend. I think I was actually in
the hospital for about two hours.
But after being rushed to the Emergency Room this weekend I realized who my real family is.
Its not necessarily the "parents" who raised me to be the person I am today. Because in the time of need, they weren't there.
My real family, the ones who seem to care about me most, are the ones who were there for me this past weekend,because without them, I never would of made it through.

1 comment:

  1. you are absolutely right.
    life and difficult situations show you who really care about you and just want to see you happy and safe, those are the real family

    ReplyDelete